Monday, February 21, 2011

Polymer Clay 101: Coming Up with Ideas

I have invented a new word since I have begun making polymer clay jewelry: craft block. It is just like writers block, but in a creativity, jewelry making state. I think it happens to pretty much everyone at some point, and it can be sooo frustrating. So I have a few tips on coming up with some new and fresh ideas! 

  1. Since I love making miniature food jewelry, I just go upstairs to my kitchen and scrounge around until I find something that I feel like taking a whack at sculpting.
  2. Hopefully I am not the only one who does this, but I shop around on etsy (I usually start out looking for ideas but end up in the beauty section or looking at non-polymer clay jewelry). I would never copy someone, but I just look for a basis...like the birthday cake, I had seen a yellow cake with chocolate frosting that had colorful sprinkles on it and thought they would look even better on a slice of white cake!
  3. Look around you. Just as simple as that, just look.
  4. Browse the web for ideas. Sometimes when I just look at simple photographs I get great ideas. Or for me I just search things like "dessert" "treat" "food" "sweet" and so on. Search keywords of stuff that you like to make!
  5. When all else fails, go do something else. Yeah I know, talk about giving up, but if I ever get really stuck I just go and do something else. Chances are the next time I feel like crafting again I have come up with a really awesome idea. Sometimes for me, just taking a quick break really helps me to clear my mind.
Hopefully these tips will help you with your crafting escapades. Happy crafting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...